Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Why do I write?

Honestly, the first answer that comes to mind is that I write for my sanity.  I've always had a job and been enrolled in college.  Almost always at the same time.  You can't put the cart before the horse and you can't pay for college without money.  Now, I get to be home with my two adorable, busy sons.  I am so glad that I get this time with them and that I can be home with them for every giggle, tear, snuggle, and memory.  That also means I am home for every bad day, tantrum, poop bomb, and mess.  The good far outweighs the bad.  I promise.  Sometimes by the end of the day, I need some sanity.  I need quiet time.  I need to not have someone smearing who knows what on my shirt sleeve.

I've always loved writing.  I've recently found old stories that I wrote years ago.  About a year ago, I told my husband I need a hobby.  A real hobby.  I chose to pursue writing.  At first, my theory was that it is easier to pull out a laptop or a piece of paper than drag out art supplies or practice the piano while my babies sleep.  One day I hope to work on those other hobbies, but writing is my main goal now.

One of my dreams has always been to write children's picture books.  I researched online, read books, and started putting my thoughts to paper.  A funny thing happened.  I love it.  I have the writing bug and I can't stop.  I lucked out by finding a local critique group.  I was absolutely terrified to go to that first critique, but I am so glad I did.  The members were so welcoming and kind.  The first story I shared that night was terrible.  It was, really.  I know it was.  One day I will go back and revise it.  Since then I've joined official organizations, made amazing connections within the writing community, and even entered a writing contest (more on that later).

Here is to my sanity.  What helps you keep your sanity?

No comments:

Post a Comment